These muffin mix pancakes on the flat top grill are so easy to make that even my wife has perfected this recipe… and that’s saying a lot, since she can barely boil water. Grab your favorite just add water muffin mix and a few other pantry ingredients, and get ready for the fluffiest and easiest pancakes you’ll ever make.
Ingredients for Muffin Mix Pancakes
These muffin mix pancakes are so easy to make, and they’re such a breakfast staple in our house, that I have the recipe memorized. Here’s what you need:
- 1 package Just Add Water muffin mix – You can use any flavor you like, from blueberry to banana nut. For these pancakes, we used chocolate chip muffin mix, our daughters’ favorite!
- 1 1/4 cup Bisquik baking mix – Or your favorite pancake/baking mix like Jiffy.
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- butter or oil to grease your flat top grill – I prefer to use a combination of butter and oil on my Camp Chef Flat Top Grill.
How to Make Muffin Mix Pancakes on the Flat Top Grill
1. Preheat your flat top grill.
Preheat your flat top grill to about 350 degrees. This is where an instant read laser thermometer comes in handy… Just point it at the surface of your flat top grill, and it will tell you the temp instantly. You can also make these muffin mix pancakes on an electric griddle.
2. Mix together all wet ingredients.
Combine milk, egg, and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add dry ingredients and mix.
Add baking mix, your “Just add water” muffin mix, and any add-ins (we used semi-sweet chocolate chips) to the bowl and mix until just combined. The secret to light and fluffy pancakes is to NOT over-mix your batter. And don’t worry if you still see just a bit of dry mix on top of your batter when you put it on the grill.
4. Grease your flat top grill.
Before you put batter on your flat top, you need to be sure that your grill surface is properly greased. I like to use a combination of butter and avocado oil on my Camp Chef flat top grill.
5. Spoon muffin mix pancake batter on to your flat top grill.
Once your flat top is preheated, spoon batter on to the greased grill. I like to use a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop, because the lever on the scoop helps the pancake batter to come out of the scoop. Cook your muffin mix pancakes on the first side until they’re lightly golden brown and they start to bubble on the edges.
There’s no need to flatten down the batter. Just let it spread naturally as it heats, and you’ll end up with the fluffiest pancakes!
6. Cook muffin mix pancakes on the flat top until done.
Allow your pancakes to cook on the first side until the bottoms are lightly golden brown and the edges start to bubble. Then you know it’s time to flip. Continue to cook your pancakes on the second side until they’re done.
Look how dang fluffy these pancakes are! No wonder my wife likes to eat them without syrup.
7. Transfer to a plate to cool slightly.
Once your pancakes are cooked, remove them from the flat top grill and allow them to cool just a bit.
8. Serve your pancakes warm with your favorite toppings.
When I’m making these muffin mix pancakes for my daughters, I go all out! I let them top their chocolate chip pancakes with chocolate syrup, regular syrup, whipped cream, and rainbow sprinkles. And then they eat carrot sticks and apples for lunch!
But my wife’s pancakes don’t even make it to a plate… These muffin mix pancakes are so dang flavorful, with just the perfect amount of sweetness, that you don’t even need syrup. She likes to just pick them up and eat them without any extra toppings.
Other Muffin Mix Pancakes to Try
If you’re not a huge fan of chocolate chip pancakes, then you can easily substitute the chocolate chip muffin mix for another kind. My kids LOVE these chocolate chip pancakes, so I rarely get to make any other varieties, but here are some other muffin mix pancakes you can try:
- Use Blueberry Just Add Water Muffin Mix and mix in extra fresh blueberries.
- Use Banana Nut Just Add Water Muffin Mix and add mashed bananas to the batter.
- Use Triple Berry Just Add Water Muffin Mix and add in some white chocolate chips.
- Use Chocolate Chip Just Add Water Muffin Mix and add peanut butter or Nutella to the batter.
How to Freeze and Reheat Pancakes
We ALWAYS double the recipe and make a BIG batch of these easy muffin mix pancakes. These make a great heat and go breakfast, perfect for busy school mornings.
To freeze your pancakes, first let them cool down to room temperature. Then transfer the leftover pancakes to a gallon size freezer bag, and try to press out the extra air in the bag as you zip it. Store the bag of pancakes in your freezer until you’re ready to reheat them.
We like to reheat the frozen muffin mix pancakes in the toaster oven, because the oven crisps up the outside of the pancakes just a bit. To reheat your pancakes, get a few out of the freezer bag and put them directly on to the wire rack of the toaster oven. Then cook the pancakes from frozen on the “Toast” setting. We set our Calphalon Toaster Oven to the number 5 setting, but use the appropriate setting based on the toaster oven model that you have. Just be sure to keep an eye on your pancakes as they are reheating so they don’t burn.
By reheating them in a toaster oven, they’ll taste just as good as they do right off the flat top grill or griddle!
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup pancake/baking mix - We used Bisquik
- 1 package of Just add Water muffin mix
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- butter or oil to grease the flat top grill
- Preheat your flat top grill or electric griddle to about 350 degrees.
- Mix egg, milk, and vanilla extract in a large bowl.
- Add one package of "Just add water" muffin mix, baking mix, and chocolate chips to the wet ingredients.
- Mix until just combined. Do NOT over mix the batter.
- Once grill or griddle is heated, add butter or oil to grease the surface.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of batter on to the grill or griddle. Don't flatten down the batter. Just let it spread naturally as it heats.
- Cook on first side until bottom is lightly golden brown and edges start to bubble.
- Flip and continue to cook on second side until pancakes are done.
- Transfer to a plate to cool slightly.
- Serve warm with your favorite pancake toppings.
Substitute the chocolate chip muffin mix for your favorite "Just add water" muffin mix. Use blueberry, triple berry, banana nut or another muffin mix. Sprinkle in fresh blueberries, mashed bananas, white chocolate chips or other add-ins to the batter to create a variety of muffin mix pancakes!
To Freeze and Reheat - Allow pancakes to cool and transfer to a freezer zipper bag to freeze. When ready to eat, reheat in the toaster oven on the "toast" setting.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 3 pancakes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 410Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 578mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 9g
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. Different online calculators may calculate nutritional information differently. Also, the addition of optional ingredients and varying brands and products may change the information. For the most accurate data, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients that you us