Looking for low carb recipes to make on the Blackstone griddle? This easy egg roll in a bowl recipe, sometimes called “crack slaw”, is a flavorful and healthy flat top grill dinner!
My wife has been begging me to make this egg roll in a bowl recipe for a long time now. We try to eat low carb (when we’re not filming cheesesteak videos over on YouTube!), and this griddle recipe is definitely one of the healthier flat top grill dishes you can make.
Plus, we had most of the ingredients on hand already since we had just recently made these Ground Chicken Asian Lettuce Wraps, so it was the perfect time to try this simple griddle recipe. Here’s how we made it:
Ingredients for Egg Roll in a Bowl
The egg roll in a bowl ingredients list is very flexible. You can add in extra vegetables, substitute the ground meats, or even use a store-bought sauce. The possibilities are endless! Here are the ingredients that we used:
- 80/20 ground beef – You can also substitute ground pork or ground chicken.
- ground breakfast sausage
- sesame oil
- minced garlic
- minced ginger – We really like the squeeze bottle of minced ginger that you can find in the produce section of the grocery store. It’s very convenient, and it’s a staple in our refrigerator.
- soy sauce – We used Kikkoman’s low sodium soy sauce, our go-to for Asian dishes.
- mirin – For a lower carb dish, you can reduce the amount of mirin that you add.
- bagged coleslaw mix
- green onions
- purple cabbage – We added this in for some extra veggies and color, but it’s completely optional.
- carrots – We cut baby carrots, but I would recommend the pre-shredded matchstick-style carrots to make this recipe even easier.
You can also add some red pepper flakes and/or siracha if you like spice.
How to Make Egg Roll in a Bowl on the Blackstone
Step 1: Cook the ground meat on the griddle.
Start by browning your ground meat on the griddle. We used a mix of ground sausage (regular breakfast sausage) and ground beef. Ground pork is another popular meat option for egg roll in a bowl, but we find it to be pretty bland, which is why we chose to use a sausage and beef mixture instead.
Since we used the cut baby carrots that we already had on hand in the fridge, we also added those to the Blackstone griddle at the same time. The larger cut carrots take much longer to cook than the bagged shredded carrots.
Once your meat is cooked through, go ahead and move it to a cooler side of your griddle, and scrape all of the excess grease into the grease trap. The sausage and beef has a high fat content, and you don’t want your egg roll in a bowl to be too oily.
Step 2: Add the cabbage mixture and the sauce ingredients.
Next, just dump the coleslaw mix and any additional veggies that you’re using on to the griddle. Spread the cabbage and vegetable mixture out on the griddle so it’s in a thin layer. The veggies have a high moisture content, so spreading them out allows that moisture to escape. If you were to keep the cabbage and carrots in a big pile while sautéing, then your vegetables would end up soggy.
After the vegetables have had a chance to cook for a few minutes, you can go ahead and add the cooked ground meats and mix everything together.
Then, it’s time to add the sauce ingredients for the egg roll in a bowl. As you can see, I made a “pool” of sorts in the center and added the minced garlic and ginger, as well as the sesame oil. Next, I poured the soy sauce and the mirin on the vegetable mixture and combined everything together.
Step 3: Serve the Egg Roll in a Bowl with your favorite toppings.
Continue to saute all of the egg roll in a bowl ingredients together for about 2-3 minutes on the griddle. Then, it’s ready to serve!
You can serve your egg roll in a bowl with your favorite Asian condiments or toppings, like Yum Yum sauce, siracha, extra soy sauce, or additional sliced green onions. Enjoy!
And since you’ve already got some of the Asian staple ingredients on hand, you can try these easy Ground Chicken Lettuce Wraps next:
Egg Roll in a Bowl Recipe
Want to save this easy Blackstone griddle recipe for later? Just print the recipe card below for when you’re wanting some healthy recipe ideas for the flat top grill:
Egg Roll in a Bowl on the Blackstone Griddle
- 1/2 pound 80/20 ground beef
- 1/4 pound ground breakfast sausage
- 14 oz. bag coleslaw mix
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- Preheat griddle on low.
- Add ground beef and ground sausage to the griddle and cook until done. Once the meat is cooked through, move it to a cooler side of the griddle and scrape excess grease and oil off griddle surface.
- Add coleslaw mix, green onions, shredded carrots, and shredded purple cabbage to the griddle. Toss together and spread out in a thin layer to begin cooking. Allow the vegetables to cook in a thin layer for about 3-4 minutes for some of the moisture to escape. Then, sauté vegetables until about 75% done.
- Make a "pool" in the middle of the cooked vegetables. Add sesame oil, minced ginger, and minced garlic. Allow the garlic and ginger to cook in the oil for about 1-2 minutes. Add soy sauce and mirin to the vegetables.
- Mix vegetables, garlic, ginger, and all sauce ingredients together. Add cooked meats to the vegetables and combine. Saute all ingredients together for about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the egg roll in a bowl to a large bowl and allow to cool slightly.
- Serve with your favorite Asian style toppings or sauces (like Siracha, Yum Yum sauce, or extra green onions).