These steakhouse mushrooms can be made on your outdoor griddle or inside on the stovetop. A great mushroom recipe for steak or burger toppings!
Hamburger steaks, ribeye steaks, big juicy burgers, or smash burgers… They all pair perfectly with these easy steakhouse mushrooms. And when you cook everything right on your flat top grill or griddle at the same time, these flavorful sautéed mushrooms are super easy to make to compliment any beef dish.
As a former steakhouse chef, I can tell you that these mushrooms are a legit steak topping. But just make sure to make enough, or they may be all gone before they even make it to the plate.
Here’s how to make this easy mushroom recipe for topping your steak or burger:
Ingredients for Steakhouse Mushrooms
- sliced mushrooms – I typically use sliced white mushrooms, but baby bellas would work well for this recipe also.
- Worcestershire sauce
- soy sauce
- minced garlic
- cooking oil of your choice – We prefer to use avocado oil.
- mayonnaise – The mayonnaise gives these mushrooms a nice richness. I’ve also been known to substitute blue cheese dressing for added flavor.
- salt and pepper to taste – Be sure to take into account the level of salt in the other ingredients, and also think about the seasonings on your burger or steak so as not to over-season.
How to Make Mushrooms for Steak or Burger Toppings
These mushrooms are super easy to make in just a few minutes with a few basic ingredients that you probably already have on hand:
Step 1: Saute the sliced mushrooms in a bit of oil.
First add a bit of oil to your pre-heated flat top grill or cast iron skillet. We like to use avocado oil because of its high smoke point and health benefits, but pretty much any oil will do. Then, add your sliced mushrooms to the oil and start to saute.
Step 2: Heat minced garlic.
While the mushrooms are beginning to cook, add a small bit of cooking oil in an empty space on your flat top grill or in your skillet. Then, place about a tablespoon of minced garlic directly in the oil. This allows the garlic to get fragrant and heat up before adding it to the rest of the mushroom ingredients.
Step 3: Add other ingredients to the steakhouse mushrooms.
While the garlic is warming up, add Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and mayonnaise to the sliced mushrooms. Gently toss to combine all ingredients, including the minced garlic, thoroughly.
Step 4: Cook mushroom topping until tender and serve with your favorite meat.
Allow the mushroom topping to continue to cook until the mushrooms are done to your liking. Then, serve immediately as a side or topping for your burger or steak.
What to Serve with Steakhouse Mushrooms
Need some ideas for what meats to serve with your mushrooms?
Any type of steak would be perfect for this mushroom topping! Or, you can even serve the mushrooms as a side dish instead of a topping with one of these awesome and flavorful steak recipes:
How to Grill Thick Steaks Perfectly – Reverse Sear vs Regular Sear – This is my go-to method for grilling our favorite ribeye steaks! You can make the mushroom steak topping inside on your stovetop or in a cast iron skillet right on your grill grates!
How to Cook Steak in a Cast Iron Skillet – If you don’t want to start the grill or griddle, you can even make filet in a cast iron skillet. This cast iron skillet filet recipe is rich and flavorful!
Blackened Steak with Blue Cheese Cream Sauce on the Griddle – These steakhouse mushrooms would pair perfectly with this blackened steak. Check out this video on my YouTube channel for the most amazing steak and a to-die-for blue cheese cream sauce!
And don’t forget about burgers and hamburger steaks, too! One of our favorite ways to enjoy these mushrooms is with a big juicy hamburger steak topped with onions and blue cheese.
Steakhouse Mushrooms Recipe
Want to add this recipe to your list of favorite steak or burger accompaniments? Feel free to print the recipe below:
- 8 oz. sliced white mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon avocado oil – or substitute oil of your choice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add about 1 tablespoon of oil to a preheated griddle or cast iron skillet. Add sliced mushrooms and toss to coat in the oil.
- Add a small bit of oil (about 1 teaspoon) to an empty spot on the griddle or skillet surface. Place minced garlic in the oil and let the garlic start to heat up without burning.
- Add Worcestershire, soy sauce, and mayonnaise to the mushrooms while they're cooking.
- Combine all mushroom ingredients with the minced garlic and continue to saute on the griddle or in the skillet until the mushrooms are tender, stirring frequently.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately as a burger or steak topping.
Get More Griddle Recipes!
Follow The Flat Top King on Youtube for more recipes and tips for mastering your griddle!
Comments & Reviews
Tom Flynn says
Have done these twice now on BBQ flat top griddle. Fast, easy, and insanely delicious. These steak house mushrooms will be a regular with steaks and burgers on my grill this summer!