Looking for delicious and easy ways to cook hash browns on the flat top grill or griddle? You’ve got to try these hash brown casserole griddle cakes! So easy and so dang delicious!
When you think of hash brown casserole, you probably think of a glass Pyrex dish baking in an oven at 350 degrees. And when you’re cooking a big breakfast outdoors on your flat top, maybe you always just make the regular shredded hash browns that you can find served up at any diner.
But why not make hash brown casserole right on your flat top grill?
Yes, it is possible. And yes, it is delicious… and yes, it is in “cake” form, similar to polenta cakes or Johnny cakes. These hash brown casserole cakes get nice and crispy on the outside, but the casserole is still moist and flavorful on the inside… it’s everything you want in crispy hash browns on the flat top combined with all of the flavors of your favorite breakfast potato casserole. I call that a winner!
Here’s how to make your new favorite breakfast side on your Camp Chef or Blackstone griddle:
- shredded hash brown potatoes – We used a 20 oz bag of the refrigerated kind NOT the frozen kind.
- diced onion
- sour cream
- cream of chicken soup
- shredded cheddar cheese
- diced jalapenos
- salt, pepper, and garlic powder
How to Make Hashbrown Casserole on Your Flat Top Grill
Step 1: Preheat your flat top grill and sauté the diced onions.
Just add a small pad of butter and your diced onions to the flat top grill. You want to sauté the onions just until tender, but don’t caramelize them because they will continue to cook in the casserole mixture. Here’s what your onions should look like when they’re done:
Step 2: Make the hash brown casserole mixture.
Dump the bag of hash browns into a large bowl and season with a mixture of salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I used a ratio of 2:1:1 (2 parts salt, 1 part pepper, and 1 part garlic powder)… I call this my “House Seasoning” and it’s a great all purpose seasoning.
Then, add the sour cream, cream of chicken soup, cheddar cheese, diced jalapenos, and sautéed onions to the bowl with the hash brown potatoes. Gently fold all of the ingredients together to combine. Be careful to not “stir” because you want the hash browns to keep their texture and shape.
Step 3: Add a ball of hash brown casserole mixture to the preheated flat top grill.
First, add a small pad of butter or your favorite cooking oil. Then, form a ball of the hash brown mix in your hands (it doesn’t have to be perfect) and gently set it on top of the butter. Use a spatula to gently press down the mixture to form a “patty” shape about 3/4″ to 1″ thick. Be careful that you don’t press too hard or your casserole cake will start to fall apart.
Your hash brown casserole should look like this after you’ve pressed it down:
Step 4: Cook the hash brown casserole on the flat top griddle.
Cook the first side for about 5-7 minutes, or until you have a nice golden brown crust, and then flip. Your casserole “cakes” should look like this when they’re done:
Step 5: Add more shredded cheese and diced jalapeños on top (optional).
This step is completely optional, but if you want to kick your breakfast potatoes up a notch, then you can sprinkle some more shredded cheese and jalapeños on top of each hash brown casserole patty before taking them off the grill.
If you add the extra toppings, you may want to “dome” the hashbrown casserole cakes to help the cheese to melt. You can watch the YouTube video below to see how I did that…
And here’s what they look like:
You’ll notice some of them have the extra cheese and jalapeños on top and some don’t. But these little breakfast potato patties are SO dang good either way, so it’s up to you!
Other Ways to Cook the Hash Brown Casserole Cakes
If you don’t want to fire up the flat top grill, there are other ways you can make these awesome breakfast potatoes:
- Cook the hash brown casserole the same way, but use your cast iron skillet on the stovetop.
- Put your cast iron skillet right on the grill grates of your charcoal grill and grill the hash browns.
- Cook them on an electric griddle.
Here’s the full recipe… Trust me, you’ll want to print it out and add it to your book of favorite flat top grill recipes!
Hash Brown Casserole Griddle Cakes
- 20 oz. bag refrigerated shredded hash browns
- 1/4 onion diced
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup cream of chicken soup
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon diced jalapeños drained
- salt pepper, garlic powder
- butter for cooking the hash brown casserole cakes on the griddle
- Preheat flat top grill or griddle on medium heat.
- Saute diced onions until slightly tender. Season onions with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- While onions are cooking, combine shredded hash browns and salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a large bowl.
- Fold sour cream, cream of chicken soup, shredded cheese, jalapenos, and sauteed onions into the hash brown potatoes. Combine thoroughly, but don’t smoosh the hash browns.
- Put a heat-proof, round silicone mold on the preheated flat top grill and place a small pad of butter in the mold. Add hash brown casserole mix to the mold, being careful not to overpack the mold. Remove the mold and repeat this step until all of your casserole mix is on the grill.
- Alternate method – If you don’t have a mold, you can also mound up about 1 cup of hash brown casserole on the flat top grill using your spatula and form it into a patty shape, about 3/4" to 1" thick.
- Allow the hash brown casserole patties to cook for about 5-7 minutes on the first side, or until nicely golden brown. Then flip and cook for an additional 5 minutes on the second side.
- Optional – Sprinkle more shredded cheese and diced jalapenos on top of each patty and allow the cheese to melt.
- Carefully remove the cooked hash brown casserole cakes from the flat top griddle and allow to cool slightly before serving.
Go here for more awesome breakfast recipes for your Camp Chef or Blackstone griddle! Or, try my Muffin Mix Pancakes on the Flat Top Grill!