When I set out to create the BEST Smoked Pork Loin Sandwich, I had been craving a good BBQ pork sandwich for weeks. And this flavor-packed, juicy BBQ pork sandwich did NOT disappoint!
It may be hard to wait the 2.5 hours while your pork loin smokes on the grill, but trust me, the time and effort that you put in to this sandwich will be more than worth it when you’ve got barbecue pork juice dripping off your elbow.
Here’s how to make your new favorite smoked pork loin sandwich:
Ingredients for Smoked Pork Loin Sandwiches
- boneless pork loin
- yellow mustard
- your favorite BBQ seasoning
- your favorite BBQ sauce – I used Sweet Baby Ray’s Sweet Golden Mustard BBQ Sauce. The mustard flavors of a Carolina-style barbecue sauce are perfect for these pork sandwiches.
- hamburger buns
Smoked Pork Loin Sandwich Toppings
- thinly sliced sweet onion
- coleslaw – Get my Quick Cole Slaw recipe down below!
- sweet banana peppers
- Carolina style mustard BBQ sauce – or your favorite BBQ sauce
How to Make a Quick Coleslaw for Pork Sandwiches:
*Note – This coleslaw was made specifically for these smoked pork loin sandwiches. I added more apple cider vinegar than normal so that the extra acid would balance out the sweet BBQ sauce on the pork sandwiches.
- 4 cups bagged coleslaw mix with shredded cabbage and carrots (or roughly 1/2 of a 16 oz. bag)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 of an apple, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 packets of Splenda (or 1 tablespoon granulated sugar)
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine all coleslaw ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well. Refrigerate for about 2 hours before serving on top of your smoked pork sandwiches.
How to Make the BEST Pork Sandwiches
If you’re a fan of pulled pork sandwiches, but you don’t have 8-10 hours to smoke a whole pork butt, then this sandwich is a GREAT alternative. It’s got all of your favorite BBQ sandwich flavors, without the hassle. HUGE flavor with little effort!
Here’s how to make these delicious and juicy pork sandwiches:
Step 1: Smoke the pork loin.
Visit this post to see how to smoke the pork loin for your smoked pork sandwiches.
Step 2: Remove the pork loin from the grill, and let it rest before slicing.
Don’t you dare slice that pork loin before it’s had a chance to rest… You’ve just spent a couple hours perfectly smoking it, the last thing that you want to do is cut into it early and lose all of those delicious juices. A 4+ pound smoked loin should rest for about 20-25 minutes after you take it off the grill.
Step 3: While the pork is resting, grill your sandwich buns.
The residual heat from your grill after you’ve closed your dampers and the grill lid should be the perfect amount of heat to toast your hamburger buns for your sandwich. Just throw your buns right on top of your grill grates, cut side down. The toasted buns will also help to absorb some of the barbecue sauce without making your smoked pork sandwich too soggy.
Step 4: Slice the pork loin as thin as you can.
After your smoked pork loin has had a chance to rest, slice it as thin as you can for the BEST smoked pork loin sandwich. You can also use an electric knife to get thin slices.
Step 5: Build your smoked pork loin sandwich.
After you’ve finished smoking your pork loin and your coleslaw has had a chance to marinate, it’s time to build your smoked pork sandwich. Here’s how to do it:
- Spread some heated Carolina-style barbecue sauce on the bottom bun. I like to pour my barbecue sauce into a small cast iron skillet, and then put the skillet directly on the grill grates while my pork is cooking to heat it up.
- Top the warm barbecue sauce with a little thinly sliced onion.
- Pile your sliced pork loin on top.
- Top the pork with the homemade quick coleslaw and a few sweet banana peppers.
And be sure to have a few napkins (or a whole roll of paper towels) on standby! You’ll have barbecue sauce and pork juice dripping down your arm!
And be sure to check out some of my other smoked meat recipes: