These chicken bacon ranch pinwheels are made with shredded chicken, cream cheese, and a whole lotta flavor! The perfect party appetizers to make for a crowd!
A while back we made some fantastic buffalo chicken pinwheels that became an instant family-favorite. So much so that my brother-in-law has asked me no less than 15 times to make them again.
And since I rarely make the same recipes twice (we do have a YouTube channel after all so we’re in constant need of new and amazing food ideas!), I decided to do a chicken bacon ranch version of the tortilla roll-up appetizers. And they were just as great, if not better, than the original pinwheels that I had griddled up.
In fact, my wife and I really couldn’t decide which ones we liked better – these chicken bacon ranch pinwheels or the buffalo chicken pinwheels. So I say, just make them both!
Here’s how to make these pinwheel appetizers that are perfect game day or party snacks:
Why You’ll LOVE this Pinwheel Recipe:
- Easy to customize. Substitute more cheddar cheese for the pepper jack, leave out the jalapenos, or try these pinwheels on a sun-dried tomato or spinach flavored tortilla… there are so many different ways to make this recipe your own!
- Make ahead. These chicken bacon ranch pinwheels are the perfect party appetizer or tailgating recipe because they don’t have many ingredients and you can prep the chicken mixture the night before. Then, just wrap, cut, and griddle the pinwheels on the day of your party!
- Inexpensive and easy to find ingredients. With simple ingredients like cream cheese, bacon, and ranch dressing, this appetizer recipe won’t cost you a pretty penny or have you searching multiple grocery stores for fancy ingredients.
Ingredients for Chicken Bacon Ranch Roll Ups
Here are the simple ingredients that we used to make our chicken pinwheel appetizers on the griddle:
- Chicken. We used boneless skinless chicken breasts, but you can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs or make this recipe with leftover cooked chicken to save some time.
- Bacon. Center cut, thick cut, or even leftover bacon from yesterday’s breakfast… any type of bacon will do.
- Ranch dressing. I always prefer the refrigerated bottled dressings that can be found in the produce section of most grocery stores over the shelf-stable varieties, but use whatever ranch dressing you like.
- Cheeses. The cream cheese is pretty much a necessity to bind all of the ingredients together, but besides that you can use whatever variety of shredded cheese that you like… we went with a mix of sharp cheddar and pepper jack.
- Green onion. Adds a bit of extra color and flavor, and thinly sliced green onions make a great garnish.
- Tortillas. You can’t make tortilla pinwheel roll-ups with the actual tortillas! I’ve made these easy appetizers a handful of times now, and the burrito-sized tortillas definitely work best.
- Jalapeños. Definitely optional, but the smoked jalapeños that we used in our roll-ups added a great flavor!
- Seasoning. Use whatever all-purpose seasoning you like on the chicken breasts, or substitute plain old S&P.
- For the chicken – If you don’t want to smoke or bake your own chicken breasts and then shred them, then substitute a store-bought rotisserie chicken to save time.
- For the tortillas – Want to save some carbs? Substitute low carb tortillas for the regular flour tortillas – just make sure to get the burrito size for best results.
- Jarred jalapenos – Don’t want to smoke your own fresh whole jalapenos? Substitute jarred pickled jalapenos for spicier appetizers, or leave out the peppers altogether.
- No griddle? – No problem! You can toast these pinwheels inside in a skillet on the stovetop, or serve them cold instead.